Sunday, March 30, 2014

THIS AND THAT

Warm Sunday greetings to you all!

Last weekend I saw this out by the barn:


It's a woodchuck (groundhog). Not too happy about it - thought winter was over!

But, then, yesterday I saw these:


Snowdrops. Finally!!

This past week I also received two packages in the mail. The first was from my brother in Tennessee. His wife works at a Payless Shoe outlet or factory. Every year they send up some shoes, usually sneakers or Skechers. This was a fun assortment:


A new pair of Minnetonka moccasins, a pair of Sporto wellies, and a very colorful pair of sneakers! I think that will keep me for the year!

The second package has a story to it. Do any of you (older) folks remember the western from the late 60's called The High Chaparral? This was my all-time favorite t.v. show! Last year I stumbled across reruns on the INSP channel - what a thrill! So I took to Google to see if any cast members were still alive and what they were up to.


I discovered a website and a facebook page. At the time, they had just finished having a High Chaparral Reunion in Tucson, AZ which included a few hundred fans, a couple of cast members and writers. It sounded like they had a wonderful time and were planning another one for March '14.

I decided right then and there that I was going to attend, come "he_ _ or high water". I started saving and came up with enough for the registration fee. During this past year I have made some fantastic H.C. friends on facebook and couldn't wait to meet some of them in person.

Well, during the year I lost my babysitting job (remember Jade?) and our finances were tight anyway. I kept hoping and praying but it wasn't to be. I knew I couldn't get my registration fee back, which was okay, but then the Reunion Coordinator said it would be used as a "sponsor donation". No problem. The reunion was last weekend and I so enjoyed seeing everyone's pics and hearing their stories. Ultimately, I was thrilled when a package arrived which had some Sponsor Gifts in it:


A tote bag from INSP channel, a sponsors badge, my favorite - the coffee mug!, a sample of Arbuckles' coffee which is made in Tucson, an H.C. pen, coaster, pin badge advertising Rudy Ramos' one-man show about Geronimo, and a pack of Hubba Bubba gum - which Don Collier portrayed the Hubba Bubba gunslinger (or gumchewer) in the commercials.

Even though I couldn't attend, I was still able to enjoy the experience with everyone's videos and pics!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that barn, *love.* You live in Mesa?? It looks so green! And Minnetonka is made for Payless now? Mind blown. My dad is/was a HUGE western fan. I used to watch Gunsmoke with him avidly. I'm surprised I haven't heard of this show!

Sarah Coller said...

Oh wow, Minnetonkas at Payless! Yes! :) I love those Wellies too...very awesome. Hope you're having a relaxing day!

Blessings,
Sarah

LV said...

Sue. sorry things did not work out for you. Sometimes, dreams are just that, dreams. Life can be cruel and happy at the same time. At least, they remembered you with a little gift. Trust things start getting better.

acorn hollow said...

I am sorry you didn't get to go. fun gifts I just don't remember that show.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Just saw this old post in your sidebar! I loved HC when I was a little girl! If I remember correctly, one of the guys got shot in the stomach and it made a huge impact on me. I was so worried about that guy!